ANNE CARRINGTON GAWNE, MD
Anne Carrington Gawne, MD
Dr. Anne C. Gawne died Sunday, December 15th 2002.
Dr. Gawne was a specialist in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation , with a subspecialty in electro diagnostic medicine. She
trained at the the National Rehabilitation Hospital with Dr Lauro Halstead, and is the co-author of many articles and book chapters on Post-polio Syndrome.
She has treated post-polio patients for over ten years, both at National Rehabilitation Hospital and Roosevelt Institute at Warm Springs.
Dr. Gawne got her B.A. from the Univeristy of California, Santa Barbara, California and her M.D. at Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, Methesda, Maryland.
She was Board Certified by the American Board of Physical Medicine and
Rehabilitation and the American Board of Electro Diagnostic Medicine and was the Director, Post-Polio Clinic and Brain Injury
Roosevelt Warm Springs Institute for Rehabilitation from 1997 until she died.
From late 1996 to 1998 she was an Assistant Professor, University of Alabama
at Birmingham, Spain Rehabilitation Center, Birmingham and for most of 1996 she was the Director of the Post-Polio Clinic and Multiple
Sclerosis Clinic, National Rehabilitation Hospital, Washington, DC. Dr. Gawne was
a Staff Physiatrist and Associate Director, Post-Polio Program, National Rehabilitation Hospital, Washington, DC;
from 10/90 to 3/91, Staff Physician, Occupational Medicine Service, National Institutes of Health,
Bethesda, MD; and from 12/85 to 5/86 she was the Director of Rehabilitation, Wyman Park
Ambulatory Rehabilitation Center, Baltimore, MD
Dr. Gawne volunteered as Team Physician, Maryland State Games; Team Physician, Maryland Special Olympics; Director, UCSB Peer Sports Medicine Clinic; and Medical Advisor, National Ski Patrol;
She was a member of the following Medical Society Affiliations: Member, Maryland Council on Physical Fitness; Board Member, Maryland Wheelchair Athletic Promotion: Fellow, American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation; Member, American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine; Associate Member, American Academy of Family Practice; and Fellow, American Association of Electro diagnostic Medicine
Among her many awards were: Chosen as honored Member of Americas Registry of Outstanding Professionals, 2002-2003; Grant recipient for the Research Enrichment Program for Physiatrists through the Missouri Arthritis Training Program and NIDDR, 1997.
- Gawne,AC, Richards,JS,
PetroskiG, Post-polio Muscle Pain in Polio Survivors. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 81
AC, Bernstein,B::Foot Problems in Polio Survivors, Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 82
(9), 2001, p.1317.
AC, Wells, K, Wilson, K: Cardiac risk factors in Polio Survivors. Arch Phys Med
Rehabil, 82.(9), 2001, p.1306
- Gawne, AC: The Warm Springs
Experience, in Easton,JK: Post-Polio Clinics: Philosophy and Design, Polio
Network News, 17 (1), pp3-4, 2001.
- Gawne AC, Maynard F: Muscle and Joint Pain in PPS State of the Art
Reviews in PM&R 2002
AC Evaluation and Management of the Post-polio patient: the Multidisciplinary
Clinic in State of the Art Reviews in PM&R.
- Gawne, AC, Wells, K, Wilson, K: Cardiac Risk Factors in Polio Survivors. Archives
Physical and Rehabilitation in press 2002
- Halstead, LS, Gawne, AC: National Rehabilitation Hospital Limb Classification for Exercise
Prescription in Post-Polio Patients. Proceedings
from the 1993 Copenhagen Post-Polio Conference, pp 85-91, 1993.
- Halstead, LS, Gawne, AC, Pham, BT: NRH Limb Classification
for Exercise, Research and Clinical Trials in Post-Polio Survivors. In The Post-Polio Syndrome Update on the Pathogenesis and Treatment,
Annals of the New York Academy of Science, 1995, vol. 753, pp. 343-354.
- Gawne, AC, Pham, BT, Halstead, LS: Electro diagnostic Findings in 108 Consecutive Patients Seen in a Post-Polio Clinic.
In The Post-Polio Syndrome, Update on the Pathogenesis and Treatment, The
Annals of the New York Academy of Science, 1995, vol. 753, pp. 383-386.
- Gawne, AC: Exercise in Post-Polio Patients. In Halstead, LS, Grimby, G, eds, The Post-Polio Syndrome, Henley-Belfus,
Baltimore, pp 141-164.
- Gawne, AC, Halstead, LS: Pathophysiology and Clinical
Management of Post-Polio Syndrome. CRC
Critical Reviews of Rehabilitation, 1995; 7(2): pp 147-188.
- Agre, JC, Grimby, G, Halstead, LS, Gawne, AC: Post-Polio
Syndrome: Rationale for Treatment of Fatigue, Change in Symptoms, Disability,
and Function over 4-5 year follow-up/; and proposal for limb classification and
exercise prescription. Disability
and Rehabilitation, 1996, 8(6) pp 305-316.
- Gawne, AC, Halstead LS: Post-Polio Syndrome Historical
Perspective, Epidemiology and Clinical Presentation, Neurorehabilitation, vol
8(2) 1997 pp 73-81.
- Gawne, AC: Pain
in Post-Polio Syndrome, Polio Network News, International Polio Network, 13(1)
- Gawne, AC, Walter, T: A Guide to the Internet for Polio Survivors. In Halstead, LS, Managing Post-Polio, NRH Press, 1998, pp
- Gawne, AC, Aseff, JN, Halstead, LS: Electrodiagnostic
Findings in 98 Consecutive Post-Polio Patients. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 1991.
- Gawne, AC, Halstead, LS: Exercise in Post-Polio Patients: A New Classification. Arch Phys Med Rehabilitation 74:660, 1993.
- Gawne, AC, Halstead, LS: Unexpected Neurological Findings
in 66 Consecutive Patients Referred to a Post-Polio Clinic. Arch Phys Med
Rehabilitation 74:667, 1993.
- Gawne, AC, Yildez, EO, Halstead, LS: Pain Syndromes in 40
Consecutive Post-Polio Patients. A Guide to Evaluation and Treatment. Arch Phys
Med Rehabilitation: 74, 1993.
- Colley, DL, Breizer, VT, Gawne, AC: An Aerobic Conditioning
and Muscle Strengthening Exercise Program for Post-Polio Patients. J
Neurological Rehabilitation 8 (2):83-84, 1994.
- Gawne, AC, White, LA: Improving Symptoms of Post-Polio
Syndrome with Tricyclic Antidepressants. Journal of Neurorehabilitation, 9 (2),
- Gawne, AC, Tecson, J:
A Case of Paralytic Polio in the Post-Vaccination Era. Journal of
Neurorehabilitation, 9 (2), 1995, 121.
- Gawne, AC, Halstead, LS: Management of a Case of Vaccine Induced Paralytic Polio in the
Post-Vaccine Era. Arch Phys Med Rehabilitation 76 (11), 1995, 1065.
- Gawne, AC, White, LA: The Treatment of Symptoms of Post-Polio Syndrome with Tricyclic
Antidepressants. Arch Phys Med
Rehabilitation 76 (11), 1995, 1065.
- Cross Cultural Management of Post-Polio Syndrome":
Presented at the Rehabilitation Hospital of the Dominican Republic, Santa
Domingo, Dominican Republic, Nov 20, 2000.
- "The Management of Patients with Post-Polio
Syndrome": Presented at the Annual Educational Conference of the Georgia
Association of Rehabilitation Nurses, Callaway Gardens, Pine Mountaion, GA,
March 30, 2001
- "The Multidisciplinary Evaluation and Treatment of
the Polio Patient": Presented at the First Annual Warm Springs Reunion.Warm
Springs GA, April 13, 2001
- Exercise in Post-polio syndrome. Presented at the FDR
Post-polio support group, May 18, 2001
- Post-Polio Muscle Pain: Survey Results. Presented at
Grand Rounds at NRH, Washington DC, August 3, 2001
Treatment of Pain in PPS", and "Exercise a New Classification". Presented
to the Tri-State PPSG Sioux Falls, South Dakota, October 20, 2001.
- Paper Presentation: ACRM Annual Meeting 1993. Exercise
in Post-Polio Patients: A New Classification, Denver, Co. June 1993.
- Moderator - "Post-Polio Syndrome Update",
Continuing Education Symposium
Broadcast by MedEdNet Satellite Network. June
- New Medications Used in the Treatment of Post-Polio Syndrome. The
Polio Society, Bethesda, MD. September 22, 1994.
- Participant Medical Radio Show Broadcast on "Low
Back Pain and Exercise" WJAZ, Morgan State University, Baltimore, MD. December 1, 1994.
- "New Medications Used in the Treatment of
Post-Polio Syndrome." Presented
to the Polio Society, Bethesda, MD, September 22, 1994.
"Respiratory Complications of Post-polio
Syndrome" presented to the Northern Virginia Post-Polio Support Group,
Arlington, VA, March 12, 1994.
- "Ventilators and Post-Polio Syndrome", presented
to the Montgomery County Post-Polio Support Group, Bethesda, MD, March 26, 1994.
- "New Treatments for Post-Polio Syndrome",
presented to the District of Columbia Post-Polio Support Group, NRH, Washington,
DC, February 23, 1995.
- "Medical Therapies for PPS" presented to the
Chambersburg Post-Polio Support Group, Chambersburg, PA, March 4, 1995.
- Presentations: "Pain Therapies and Post-Polio Syndrome", (2) "Medication Therapies for
Post-Polio Symptoms", (3) "Exercise in Post-Polio Syndrome", given at the
conference on An Update on Post-Polio Syndrome, The Polio Society, April 2,
- "The Diagnosis and Treatment of Neurological
Injuries in Alpine Skiers" given at the Outdoor Emergency Care Refresher,
Liberty, PA, November 4, 1995 and Whitetail, PA, October 1995.
- "The Use of Ear Acupunture for PPS" given to the
District of Columbia Post-Polio Support Group, November 4, 1995.
- "The NRH Post-Polio Classification for Exercise"
presented at the District of Columbia Post-Polio Support Group, February 7,
- "The Evaluation and Treatment of Pain Syndromes in
Patients with a Primary Disability", AAPM&R Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL,
- "The Treatment of Common Health Problems in Polio
Survivors" presented to the Tuscaloosa Post-Polio Support Group, Tuscaloosa,
AL, February 1997.
- "The Treatment of Pain in Polio Survivors, and
Medication for the Treatment of Post-Polio Syndrome" presented to the
Birmingham Post-Polio Support Group, Birmingham, AL, March 1997.
- "The NRH Classification for Exercise, Research and
Clinical Trials for Polio Survivors", presented at Roosevelt Warm Springs
Institute for Rehabilitation, Warm Springs, GA, July 1997.
- "Pain Syndromes in Polio Survivors an Approach to
Evaluation and Management", presented to the Palm Beach Support Group, Oct 19,
- "Post-Polio Muscle Pain in Polio Survivors" presented
to Research Enrichment Program for Physiatrists, Washington, D.C. June, 1998.
- "Management of Post-Polio
Patients" presented at Del Rey Medical Center Sept 1999.